Saturday, January 4, 2014

Molly’s Pocket Sandwich

I first tasted these sandwiches at a Crossroads Mall restaurant in Salt Lake City (around 1984), called Molly’s Pockets.  My awesome cousin, Micki, and I would eat there often.  When I changed jobs and went to work for an insurance company in North Salt Lake, my co-worker, Louise Ballantyne, told me she used to work there.  I was so thrilled to be able to ask her what was in that sauce that was put on the sandwiches.  She revealed the secret ingredient of CURRY POWDER in ranch dressing that made these sandwiches so memorable and tasty.
 
I don't have a picture of these delicious sandwiches.  I'll have to attempt to take one when we eat them next.

INGREDIENTS:
Pita Bread (sliced in half); or flat bread or flour tortillas would work fine too.
Avocados (mashed up with a little salt & pepper, lemon juice)
Tomatoes (sliced thinly)
Sunflower seeds, roasted & salted
Alfalfa sprouts
Cheddar cheese, grated
Ranch Dressing with curry powder to taste


DIRECTIONS:
Cut the pita bread in half and open up the pocket. The next ingredients are placed in layers on one side of pita bread: Spoon smashed avocado on one side. Place two slices of tomatoes on top of avacados, sprinkle with sunflower seeds, then alfalfa sprouts. Put cheese on top. Now drizzle the ranch dressing mix on the top and eat up!!

3 comments:

  1. I've tried to recreate those lovely pita sandwiches from my memories for years. I've even gone online to see if someone had posted a recipe and have never found one. It's been a few years since I've looked. I'm so glad you posted this recipe and that your friend knew what was in that yummy sauce. Now that I'm older and have some cooking years under my belt I've thought that it must have been curry in ranch and that's how I've made it for years now. I'm glad to find out I was right ;) Thanks for confirming my guesses!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly I don't look at this page often ... Ha ha, but thanks for commenting. Those pocket sandwiches were soooooo good! I enjoy making these for my family after all those years. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this! I have looked for years to try and find something that would tell me the secret to this sauce, even asking my friend Patti who worked there if she remembered, but to no avail. I recently asked on a FB forum for restaurant reviews and was directed here by Lisa Heaton. So glad she took the time to tag the page. :)

    ReplyDelete